Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Entitlement

Let me just start by saying this is a vent session  and if what I have to say offends you, I'm sorry.  I do not get very involved politically, but I think this needs to be said. I stayed quiet during the election.... but here is my opinion in words.

Each year at Christmas I think we all get into a little bit of the "giving" spirit.  Really, that is the way it should be.  Giving to those less fortunate, spreading the Christmas cheer, educating those about the true meaning of Christmas.

My church always helps with the Toys for Kids for our community.  Each year you can select and "Angel" and buy clothes, toys, etc. for a less-fortunate child.  I have been buying for an angel for the Toy Drive for about 7 years now.  Even when I was in college I would take my part time money from my job and go buy an outfit or two, PJs, underwear, a couple of toys, socks, shoes, a jacket, and maybe a warm hat and mittens.  When it is all said and done, I spend anywhere between $75-100.  For a couple of years I would go and help set up during the week for the handouts.  One year my mom and I helped hand out the gifts the morning of and went and gave the groceries to some of shut-ins in the community.

The Toys for Kids is a wonderful thing that many people in the community plan and prepare for all year long!  Kudos for them for all their hard work! I am just a peon in the event by providing a few hours of community service and shopping for one angel.

Every year it is such a blessing for me and helps get me in the spirit of Christmas.  It always saddens me so much to think about these sweet children who have practically nothing.  I look around my house and in my child's room who has toys beyond toys, nice clothes, plenty of food to eat and a warm place to sleep.  This is something that I plan to make a tradition in my household and I think it will be a good experience for my kids to help with too as they grow.

.................................................................

This is where I ruin it.  This is where those who have been reading this thinking "how sweet" probably get upset with me.

I can't help but get aggravated.  A few years ago when I was helping hand out, there were those families truly grateful.  You could tell that didn't have anything and without the help of Toys for Kids, their kids probably wouldn't receive anything for Christmas.  How sad, right?  It really broke my heart.  I went to some houses where the floor was literally falling through.  Pitiful.  These people really need help.

Then there were those that had the Gucchi handbags and iPhones, smoking cigarettes in line, driving up in their cars with chromed out rims and door handles, grabbing the gifts for their children without a smile, Thank You, or anything.  Entitled.  That's what they were feeling.  That felt that they were entitled for those handouts.  They didn't owe us a thing. Grrrrr.....

What kind of generation are we creating?  This goes far beyond the toy and food drives at Christmas time.  This finger is being pointed at our government.  At our society. 

Maybe the way I am thinking is not very Christian like but I disagree.  When people are truly in need, give them gifts, let them benefit from my hard earned money, let our tax money go towards them.  Provide them insurance, housing, food.  That is fine.  I am really not trying to be a Grinch about it all.

It is hard for me to be crutch for someone that is perfectly capable of getting a job though.

I know that our country is in "hard times."  Jobs are short.  Money is small.  I know.  I think the main problem is that people have just gotten plain lazy though.

The people in this country feel that if The Jones' have a brand new Tahoe, and 2000 square foot house, nice clothes, and new phones that they should have all that too.  They do not take into consideration that "The Jones'"  also have jobs.  The Jones' get up every morning at 5:30 to go to work.  The Jones' have saved and worked hard to have those things.  Nobody just gave The Jones' their nice things.  They WORKED for it.

I can't help but wonder who these people were raised by?  Both my husband and I come from hard working families.  Our parent's raised us to work for what we wanted.  Fortunately I was blessed during childhood.  I always had a roof over my head and food to eat, but sometimes that was because my daddy was working two jobs.

So let me just say, I am proud to be a hard working American.  I am proud to say that I have worked for everything I have. So the next time you swipe your EBT card or talk on your Obama phone just know that I am spending time away from my child, working 12 hour shifts, to provide all that for you, along with providing for my own family and a roof over my own head!

If we aren't careful America, the money is going to run out, and unfortunately we have raised a society that thinks they don't have to work because the Government is going to give them everything that need.  Then what?

No comments:

Post a Comment