Monday, February 27, 2012

Tornados & Showers

This weekend was super crazy for me.  It all started Friday when Norah Kate and I had to seek cover in our hallway because we were in the middle of tornadoes.  My brother called me first to tell me that there was bad weather in the town next to us and the weather was supposed to get rough so to keep an ear out.  It was drizzling rain outside, but the wind didn't seem bad at all.  I told him I would turn the weather channel on.  I tune in to our local news to find out that my town is under a tornado warning also.  Before I could even get off the phone with my brother, my mama was calling in a  panic... she too had heard that the we were under a tornado warning and wanted to make sure I knew about it.  I told her the weather wasn't bad here yet, but I was listening out.  I moved Norah Kate away from the window and put her on a pallet on the floor.  I look out the window and all of a sudden the wind was whipping and the rain was coming down.  I could hardly see out of the window.  I got little girl up and made us a pallet in the hallway.  We   camp out there for about 20 minutes.  Matt would call, then Mama, then my daddy...then Matt, then Mama, then Daddy and so on until the weather passed.   I am normally scared of bad weather, but I guess being a mommy made me calm.  I just knew that I wanted my baby to be safe!  I prayed and prayed the whole time we were in the hallway.  Luckily, the worst of it went all around us.  Matt and I didn't have any damage to our house or any of our farms, just much needed rain!  Several local farmers lost pivots, and many people had damage to their homes.  Its funny what your priorities are as a farmers wife... as soon as things settled down I ran to the window to check on our pivot to make sure the wind didn't get, then when Matt was riding around checking farms I asked if we had gotten too much rain anywhere.  We were very blessed that day!  Norah Kate was a trooper during her first tornado warning!

Saturday, Matt and I hosted a couples wedding shower for some friends of ours who are getting married in March.  Because I had a lot to do that day setting up and getting ready, I let my mama keep Norah Kate for most of the day.  I dropped her off at about 1:30 and then went to town.  I was in and out of the house a few times that day, but never really got to hold her or spend much time with her.  Mama also brought her to the shower.  When mama left the shower at about 7:30, I told her to take the baby home with her because it was so cold and I still had to finish breaking everything down.  For some reason I got really emotional when Mama left.  Boy, talk about someone undecorating a party in a hurry!  I practically threw the decorations in my car.  Some people were still hanging around the fire and I told Matt to stay while I went home.  Worst hostess ever, I know!  By the time I got to my parents house I was almost hysterical.  I just sat and held Norah Kate and cried.  She was fine, she didn't even know I was gone.  I was the one having issues... I don't know if it was hormones or what.  All I know is I have a long way to go before I go back to work.  I was only "gone" from her for about eight hours, and not even that really because I still saw her throughout the day.  When I go back to work, I will be gone for almost 14 hours,driving time and all.  I guess it hit me all at once and was a tad bit overwhelming.  I know people go back to work every day.  I also know that most women go back when their babies are 8 weeks old, and I am staying out until she is 12 weeks old.  I am grateful for this time I have home with her, and I am also grateful for the fact that I won't have to put her in daycare when I go back.  I will be working every weekend nights, so I can keep her during the week and Matt, my mama and mother in law can keep her during the weekend while I am working and sleeping.  I just pray that it gets easier :)  Sometimes I get frustrated with the whole "women's rights" movement.  Call me shallow, but I would be perfectly content being a stay at home mom raising babies and being a housewife.  I have enjoyed being home so much!  Cooking, cleaning, and being mommy makes me happy!

Another milestone this weekend, we have outgrown the bassinet.  She can't stretch out and squirm around like she likes too, so tonight I am taking down the bassinet and putting up the pack and play in our room (talk about one sad mama....)  I am hoping though that it will help her rest better at night.  Also, she has started squealing when you are talking to her.  It started Sunday... she would try so hard to talk and coo, then out came the squeal.  It was so cute!  She got this look on her face like "did I just make that sound?"  I guess that is one reason that I am sad about going back to work, is that I don't want to miss one single thing.  So far we have an agreement... if she does anything new while I am at work, no one will tell me about it.  When I see it, we have to pretend it is the first time, that way I won't feel like I missed it!  I pray that God will give me peace when going back to work, and that I will have an easy transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment