Thursday, June 28, 2012

Southern Summers

Let me just say that I LOVE summer! It is not my favorite season (the two weeks of fall we experience here in South Georgia is my favorite :)). Despite the gnats, mosquitoes, sweat and 100% humidity, I love getting out on the boat, going to Steinhatchee, FL, spending time at the beach, laying out by the pool and mowing my grass. My most favorite part about summer though is the fresh fruits and veggies!

These peaches came from South Carolina and were HUGE!

Bi Colored Corn, also from South Carolina
(My daddy went on a trip and his customers sent him home with fresh produce)


White acre peas from Little River Produce in Lake Park, GA

I have been a busy bee these past two weeks putting up vegetables in our freezer for the winter.  I have put up fresh cream corn, zipper peas, and white acres.  Needless to say, between the venison, breastmilk, baby food, and veggies... our freezer is pretty FULL!

Nannie teaching me to cream corn.  This is a messy job!  I had creamed corn in my hair, on my face and up to my elbows!  It will be yummy in the winter time though!

 



Normally, Matt plants a summer or fall crop of squash, but he didn't this year so I missed the chance to put up squash.  Hopefully he will plant some for fall.  I have begged Matt for several years now to plant me a garden and I would tend to it, but he hasn't.  Maybe next year!  Mama is supposed to teach me how to put up jams and perserves this summer too! I am so excited!  I love being raised in the South!!! 

All my hard work!




No comments:

Post a Comment