Wednesday, October 24, 2012

First Fever

Yesterday, Norah Kate woke up with a fever of 101.6.  Let me be honest for a second.. I panicked.  My sweet baby doesn't get sick and has never run fever!  I called the pediatrician's office immediately (this was at 7:30) and left them a message.  I went ahead and gave her some Advil, but she was pitiful.  She had some clear drainage and just acted really tired.  She let me sit and rock her for over an hour.  She was not her usual playful self at all :(

We went to the pediatrician's office at 11 and they tested her for RSV.  She tested negative thank God!  Her throat looked good, her lungs were clear, and her ears were fine.  The doctor thought she had a cold or virus.

She ran fever on and off all day yesterday and didn't have much appetite.  She nursed real good though.  This morning her drainage is green (yuck!) and we were running low grade fever.  She still acts like she don't feel good, but I hope we are starting to get over it!

I take care of sick people on a daily basis, but it was totally different yesterday with my child.  My heart literally hurt for her!  She was extra clingy and wanted her mama, which was fine with me!  Yesterday was also mine and Matt's 2nd anniversary (Happy Anniversary babe, haha!)  and I was planning on cooking him a big breakfast, going to pick up a gift for him and then us going out for supper that night as a family.  Um, yeah, that didn't happen!  Life happened.  That's okay though... it's all part of being a parent, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Update:  Wednesday night, October 24, she woke up and sounded extra croupy and was still running fever so we called and made another doctors appointment for 9am Thursday.  I had to call in to work so that I could take her.  Dr. G gave us a prescription for Amoxicillin (antibiotic) and Bromfed (cough suppressant/decongestant) and went ahead and treated her for bacterial rhinitis and/or strep since I had strep a couple weeks prior. 

After leaving the pediatrician's office, I went to Walmart and stocked up:

 

 
 I was all prepared to go back to work Friday, but about the time I called the baby sitter to tell her that I was working Norah Kate spiked a temp of 102.8... even with Tylenol and Motrin on board (yikes!!).  I called her right back and went ahead and called in to work.  I figured the antibiotics just needed time to work...

Now, October 30, she is fever free (yay!), drainage is clear (yay!) but we still have a cough  (expected...).  She still doesn't have much of an appetite, but she is sleeping better at night.  I pray she doesn't get any worse.  My nerves were about shot with that fever!  It was pretty scary when nothing was bringing it down!

For all you mom's out there:  I LOVE the Vick's baby rub.  It seems to help her sleep better at night and has a really soothing smell.  I rub it on her back, chest, and even her feet before bedtime.  I would definitely consider it an essential when your little one has a cold.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment