Friday, October 12, 2012

Freezer Meals

A couple of weeks ago I put up several meals.  I have been meaning for a while now to blog about my experience, but haven't been able to get around to it.  Let me be a little honest too... it was kinda a chaotic (and expensive!) experience, so I have been hesitant to post about it.  Haha!

I have a friend who did her freezer meals and she did all of her hamburger recipes one day and then her chicken ones on another.  I would highly recommend doing that!  I tried to do it all at one time and ended up spending a day and a half in the kitchen !  One good thing though, I am finished with freezer meals for several months!  Our freezer is stocked up!

I didn't want to use freezer meals for every night.  Mostly on the days I couldn't make it to the grocery store that week or on the days I am working.  After all that hard work, I am kinda stingy with them!  I don't use them unless I absolutely have to!  (I don't know why I think like that, food is food and I can make more??)

I put up a stock pot of taco soup, 3 lasagnas, 3 teriyaki chicken, 3 baked spaghetti, chicken stock, shredded chicken, 3 roast beef (with carrots and potatoes), and 3 chicken pot pies.  Whew!

The recipe for the teriyaki chicken and chicken stock I got off of Pinterest (I LOVELOVELOVE me some Pinterest!).  You can find the recipe here.  The chicken stock has very good flavor and has come in handy for many things: chicken & dumplings, chicken & rice, soups, etc.

I will share my recipes for my baked spaghetti, lasagna, and taco soup on this blog post along with a grocery list.

Grocery List

5-6 lbs of hamburger meat
1 pack of spaghetti noodles
1 pack of Oven Ready lasagna noodles by Barilla
Ricotta Cheese
Shredded Parmesan, Mozarella and Cheddar Cheese
1 extra large jar of spaghetti sauce of your choice
2 cans of mushrooms (optional)
Italian spices (I like McCormick)
1 can Black beans
2 cans Red Kidney Beans
2 cans Kernel Corn
2 packets Taco Seasoning
2 packets Ranch Powder
3 cans of Rotel
3 cans Tomatoe sauce/paste
 
6 8x8 tin foil containers (these are perfect for me and Matt, usually allowing large portions for both with enough left over for lunch the next day!)
 
Soup containers (size of your choice, at least 3 of the bigger ones, or you can use small containers for one person meals)
 
 

Recipes

First, brown your ground hamburger in a large skillet, then divide it into three equal parts for each recipe.

-I went ahead and simmered my portions of hamburger meat (approx 3-4 pounds) with the large jar of spaghetti sauce and 2 cans of mushrooms(optional)
 
Lasagna
*I use the recipe on the back of the noodle box except I don't make quite as many layers (I can never seem to fit as many layers as the recipe calls for in my pans).
-Grease bottom of pan
-Spread approximately 3/4 cup of meat sauce on bottom of pan
-Spread out uncooked lasagna noodles
-Spread ricotta cheese/egg/spice mixture over the noodles (Mix the container of ricotta cheese with one egg and a tsp or so of Italian spices)
-Cover with thin layer of meat sauce
-Sprinkle with cheese blend (mozzarella and parmesan)
-Spread out another layer of noodles, ricotta chese, meat sauce
-Top with final layer of noodles, sprinkle with cheese (If you wish you can drizzle with about 1/2 a can of tomatoe sauce for extra-sauciness)

** To Cook: Thaw overnight or during the day.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly

 
 
Baked Spaghetti
-Cook your noodles according to box.
-When noodles are done, mix together approx 1/2 of prepared meat sauce used for lasagna & noodles
-Spread in greased pan
-Cover with cheese (mozarella, cheddar, parmesan

**To Cook: Thaw overnight or during the day.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
 
 
Taco Soup
-Mix together approximately 2 pounds of hamburger meat, canned corn (drained), canned Rotel tomatoes, beans (kidney & black), tomatoe sauce, and a cup or two of water (depending on how "soupy" you want your soup). Bring to simmer.  Add taco and ranch seasoning.  (A dash or two of Tobasco sauce will give you an extra kick if you like spicy!) Simmer for approx. 15 minutes.  Allow soup to cool then transfer to freezer containers.

**To reheat:  Thaw overnight in fridge or under dripping water in sink.  You may also defrost in microwave.  Warm in microwave or over stove top until simmering.  Enjoy!
- You may add sour cream and cheese if you wish.  It is super yummy with some Tostito chips!
- I love using the smaller containers to freeze it in for my lunches and such!

Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment