Saturday, July 18, 2015

Norah Kate is 3!

Better late than never.... right?  I am way behind on my blogging.  Between finishing my Master's, studying for NP boards, and starting a new job.  It has been so chaotic.  I hate that I have let myself get so behind on blogging though, because I thoroughly enjoy it.

Norah Kate turned 3 on December 29.  We had a small family birthday party at a local pizza restaurant.  I did a manicure and a pedicure on her.  My sister came to visit.  We baked cupcakes.
After her 1st birthday, I have since shied away from having a big party on their "birthday." I feel like if I do that, then I can't truly enjoy their day.  It is selfish, I know.  But I want to enjoy my babies all to myself on their birthdays.



Then (almost TWO months later!!!) I had her 3rd Birthday Party.  (I felt like a terrible mama, but it seriously was make or break time studying for my NP boards!!).  It was worth the wait though!!  She wanted a "Frozen" birthday.  Which was super easy to decorate for with the time of year.

 


We had her party at the local gymnastics gym.  The kids had a blast. 

Ever since then, NK keeps asking when she will get another "Frozen Birthday."  I have a feeling that she will put in for another Frozen themed party this year too! Haha!

Clothes:  NK is still wearing a 2T-3T clothes.  She weighed 30 pounds and was 3ft tall at her 3 year check up.  She is perfectly "average" size in all her percentiles.  She wears a size 9-10 shoes. I usually buy things a little "big" because I hate her only being able to wear something for a month or two before we outgrow it.  (I must admit, it is nice not having to buy a new wardrobe every 3-6 months.)  And with her having two older girl cousins we get beautiful hand-me-downs!

School:  NK started going to "school" (daycare) again in January.  Her and G are in the same "daycare" which makes it nice, but the daycare also has a 3K and PreK.  They get to go outside and have a schedule.  She is learning tons.  She really is such a smart girl... she also has a smart mouth which is starting to get her in a little trouble ;)
She knows her colors, shapes, she can count to 20 and is "reading."  She picks up a book and pretend reads.  It is so much fun listening to her imagination.  She also is huge into pretend play.  She plays with her babies and is all about being the "mama" or the "teacher."  I love sitting outside her room and listening to her talk to her babies.  I must say---she is a bossy little thing.  (I don't know where she could get that from?)

She likes:  Her daddy to tell her bedtime stories (We started telling her make-believe stories about a princess names Tiana.  That is a request every night now.)  Being bossy with her brother.  Swinging.  Eating candy.  Swimming.  Letting Hoss out to go potty.   Painting/coloring/crafting.  Going to Chick-fil-a.  Reading books.  Playing mama or teacher to her babies.  Peppa Pig.  Sleeping in Mama and Daddy's bed.
 
She doesn't like:  For me to pick out her clothes.  Grant playing with her toys.  For me to leave her at school (she is still clingy, which is ok with me.)  Sleeping by herself.  The dark.  Being told "no."  Being told "be quiet for just a minute."

I told her the other day to be quiet for just a minute (because she had chattered and asked questions since her feet hit the floor).  She told me, "No, Mama, I am talking." (Bahahahha!  I know, Baby,  hence, please be quiet!!)

NK doesn't forget ANYTHING.  I almost feel bad, because if I ever discipline her, she will bring it back up the next time.  Which hurts my heart a little, but at the same time, it is important to me for her to mind and be respectful.  She is very strong-willed and "spirited" if you will.  Very stubborn.  And I am a control-freak (I will be first to admit it).  So we bump heads often.  She also has NO patience.  None of this is unexpected though, for her to just be 3. I handle it the best way I can.  Sometimes I am not as patient as I need to be though, and I pray for God to help me raise her the best way.  It's hard, you know, wondering if you are doing a "good job" as a parent....  There is no "perfect" way to do anything, because each situation, child temperament, and home life is different.

I learned a while back to quit comparing my situation to everyone else.  What I do, in regards to raising my kids, may be different than what someone else does.  Because, I work full-time, and I am by myself with the kids most evenings because Matt works late.  Therefore, my kids may not be in bed at 7:30 every night.  If so, then they wouldn't get to see much of me or Matt.  And they may eat fastfood one night and sandwiches another because I am too tired to cook when I get home.  I may be more strict with my kids, because I the main one home with them so I need for them to half-mind for my sanity.  Then there may be times when I just let them eat the dang cookie because I don't have the energy to battle the falling-in-the-floor-kicking-and-screaming fit that would most likely follow  or because the cookie is the perfect distraction while I get supper started.  There is no perfect manual for me to follow.  I just have to pray and follow my heart.  I try to show them as much love as I can, all while encouraging a balance of respect and independence.

As exasperated as I may get with her, I can't help but have pride in that sweet, stubborn girl.  When I watch her work through a task (assuming she doesn't fold to the frustration of not being able to do it at first), I am in awe.  I know, that her strong-willed, determined personality is going to help her become a strong, independent, confident young woman, and I couldn't ask for anything more.

Norah Kate,
You did it Baby Girl.  You put up with Mama while she finished her Master's and studied for her boards.  I love you so much, and I am SO proud of you.  Your teachers at school always have wonderful things to say about you (I believe you are a favorite of theirs, which I completely understand why.)  You are smart and beautiful.  You know what you want and don't usually settle until you have it.  It's exasperating, but it's just like me.  I believe we are truly cut from the same cloth.  You love your baby brother and are quick to tell someone he is your baby.  You are a sponge and I pray that your Daddy and I are doing the best job of raising you right.
I love you a bushel and a peck,
Mama

 

No comments:

Post a Comment