Sunday, April 15, 2018

Blog Return: Baby #3


It has been so long since I have blogged (like 2 years!!!).  I have thought about updating so many times over the last couple of years, but it seems there has always been something else take precedence. (ya know, laundry, dishes, mowing the grass, helping with homework etc.)

Seeing as we are expecting baby #3, it made me sad to think about not blogging monthly updates with this next baby.  I figured I would go ahead and start back, even if it's just temporary.

I found out on Nov 19 that I was pregnant.  We had been "trying" for a couple of months, but with two kids that STILL sleep in our bed I figured it would take some time.  I woke up that morning with extreme breast tenderness.  It was only cycle day 20 for me, so I really didn't think it was possible to have a positive test that early.  I had some old tests on hand so I took one about mid morning.  I honestly did not even think it would be positive, but low and behold there was a faint line. 
I will I could say I told Matt in some kind of cute, creative or romantic way, but I just called him back to the bathroom (it was on a Sunday so he was home).  "Hey babe, come here!!"
He came back to the bathroom and I said, "what does that look like to you?"
"It looks like a positive."
Me: "there is no way, I am not due for my period for another 8 or 10 days??"
Matt: "oh, well, that's a positive"

(I was still in denial.  Excited.  But in denial for such an early positive.)
We decided to go to Walmart later that day and get a "digital" test.  Words that say Pregnant or Not Pregnant.  haha!  Even though I have my Master's in nursing and practice medicine every day, for something like this I still wanted SIMPLE and fool proof!

I didn't take the digital test until the next morning or even 2 days later (I can't remember now, isn't that awful?)  And sure enough after 30 seconds or so, the words PREGNANT popped up on the test.  I sent Matt a SnapChat, but he didn't check his Snap all day, so I finally called him when I got off work.  I was so excited all day.  I couldn't believe we were going to have another baby!!
I called my OBGYN that morning and they told me to come in later in the week for a pregnancy confirmation u/s.  I was suprised to be seen so early, because my previous pregnancies (which were with a different OBGYN) I had to wait until 8-9 weeks to be seen for an ultrasound.
It has been so much fun to watch this pregnancy grow via ultrasound.

My very first ultrasound showed  nothing but a gestational sac, which was expected for the timeline of my pregnancy.

I went back about two weeks later and there was a heartbeat!!  What a sweet, sweet sound.
My third check up was Jan 11.  I got to see a 4D glimpse of baby T and it ohmygoodness at the growth!!  At this point, Baby T had arms and legs, tiny ears and was very "human" appearing.  I was only 10 weeks. 

It made me sad to think about the people that have had miscarriages or even chose to have an abortion, because even so early at 10 weeks this baby was a BABY!
Let me just say too that I have measured a week "early" every ultrasound too.
I  decided before this pregnancy that if we were to get pregnant again, I would want the gender to be a suprise for this one.  Matt wants/wanted to find out, but he is going along with it for my sake.  I told him before the 20 week anatomy scan, that he could find out but there were some conditions:  He could not tell anybody, not even his mama, daddy or siblings.  Anybody that knows Matt and his family knows how close they are, they work closely together and all talk on the phone multiple times throughout the day... so I knew this would be difficult.  Matt didn't really say or act like this would be possible for him, so here we are (almost) week 24 still not knowing the gender-- either one of us.


How has Mama felt?


I will be honest, the first 10-12 weeks were roughhhhh.  I was very nauseated.  I didn't throw up (only once), but I would have these waves of nausea hit that made me wish I could throw up.  I learned to suck on hard, sour candy, nibble on crackers or high protein snacks and sip gatorade/gingerale throughout the day to keep the nausea at bay.  Smells were the worst.  My senses were very, very sensitive.  I normally love Christmas time and all the cooking, baking and candle scents but almost everything turned my nose or stomach.  Pork was the worst!  We usually get a ton of Boston Butt around the Holidays, but it nauseated me so bad.  I also had a coffee aversion ( so so sad because I LOVE coffee!!!) I couldn't stand the smell of it.

 I lost a few pounds at first, but I think it's because I craved fruits / veggies and anything fatty/greasy (or good for that matter) made me nauseated.
I was also veryyyyy tired.  I mean, 10-12 hours of sleep at night and wake up still feeling exhausted with awful brain fog.  I thought maybe it was the time change and the hustle/bustle of the Holiday season that made it worse this pregnancy.  It could also be that I am four years older, working full time and chasing two other kids....
Luckily by week 12 my fatigue and nausea were much improved.  I began having headaches daily.  Those were annoying, but I started taking magnesium and that helped a ton!

By week 16 I felt amazing and still do, thank the Lord, even now!  I have some back pain, hip pain, sciatic nerve pain, reflux and varicose veins... but in the grand scheme of things I really feel great.  I am one of those people though that "love" being pregnant.  I have also kept my anxiety down during this pregnancy.  I am focused on keeping a very "zen" pregnancy this time in hopes this will be a content baby.  I am learning to pick my battles and let go of a lot.  I still have my moments, because I am wired as a very strong Type A personality.

I started feeling Baby T move around 16 weeks and strong movements around week 18.  I also started to show earlier with this one.  By 10 weeks, regular jeans were snug and not comfy. Thank goodness of leggings, jeggings and dresses!!  I was rocking maternity pants EARLY this go around!!!  (I mean, why wouldn't you?! These things are amazing....)  I have gained 14 pounds so far at 23 weeks.

We went last week for my anatomy scan.  I was 22 weeks, measuring 23 weeks.  Everything was PERFECT.  THANK YOU LORD!!!  I tell people all the time, its hard working in the medical field. While most people are looking for fingers and toes, I am looking to make sure there are four chambers to the heart (equal and symetrical in size), 3 vessels to the umbilical cord, adequate movement, spinal cord intact, intestines on the inside etc.  It was also hard to look for all of this stuff WITHOUT finding out the gender.  My ultrasound tech is the sweetest and she was great about not lingering between the babies legs too long and anytime it went that direction I looked away.  I honestly could not tell you today if we are having a BOY or a GIRL.  (This is so exciting for me!!!)
 
I am so thankful for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.  I am so thankful that the Lord has intrusted me (again) to raise a warrior for Him.  I am very excited about this journey and I continue to pray for the Lord to guide me to be a mother in a way that He sees fit, continue to bless this pregnancy and this baby.  I have been praying very specific prayers this go around for this baby and this pregnancy.  As a Christian, I admit prayer is my weakness... often getting wrapped up in day to day doings andI "forget" to pray--- or at least pray like I should.  I have been trying really hard this time to pray fervently for this baby and pregnancy, as well as for my family.
I am so glad to be blogging again and can't wait to continue to update through out this pregnancy!!
XO
Katie






20 weeks

22 weeks

Sweet sneak peak of Baby T- 22 week anatomy scan

A comparison of my three babies: Grant on the left, Norah Kate top right and Baby T bottom right. They favor soooo much already!!


No comments:

Post a Comment