Sunday, April 15, 2018

Norah Kate Lately

Last weekend was quite eventful.

We spent Saturday evening at my Mother-in-laws house. The kids were super hyped up (you know how they can get at the grandparents house.) and were jumping on the bed.  We had told them both to quit jumping before someone got hurt. Norah Kate is at that stage where we climb and jump on to and off of everything. G being the little brother and copy cat he is tries to do the same stuff.  Well, after the 173946738 time of telling her to get off the bed Matt pulled her by both arms (not any kind of crazy or unusual way) and got her off the bed.  Norah Kate started screaming crying and wouldn't move her arm.

I did the usual parental things, but when your mama is a nurse/nurse practitioner you kinda tough it out unless you are bleeding ( a lot ) or not breathing.  I put ice on it and rocked her and tried to asses for any fractures.  My first thought was a nursemaid elbow (pulled elbow), but I have never corrected one myself and she was screaming every time I touched her arm.

After about an hour the poor girl was still carrying on with her arm. We would get her calmed down, then every time we went to move it she would holler.  Needless to say, we decided it was time to go to the ER.  Poor Matt, he felt terrible and so guilty.  I kept telling him that it was going to be alright and if it's what I thought it is, it's a quick fix.  Accidents happen.

NK fell asleep on the way to the ER, and so we were thinking maybe she wasn't hurt that bad after all and maybe she was just over-tired.  Because, yes, that is a thing and anyone with kids knows that when they are overtired a papercut or mosquito bite will have you thinking their leg is falling off.  We started hitting potholes in the pavement in the road to the hospital and sweet girl started whimpering on her sleep..... So nope, keep on going to the ER.

The ER was super efficient that night. I have been seeing a ton of Flu at the office, so I just knew we were gonna be there for ever.  We registered and then got pulled practically straight back to triage.  Everyone had to look at and move her arm and she would scream. I knew they had to do it, but it hurt my heart every time.

After triage they came and got us for X-ray. The X-ray techs were amazing, but the experience itself was terrible.  They had to position her arm for the X-ray and NK was screaming.  It hurt so bad she was shivering and her teeth were chattering. I felt so helpless. The sweet X-ray tech would wait until I had NK somewhat distracted before repositioning for another image. They were really quick about it, but BabyGirl screaming had my nerves shot.  We were both crying.

It was the craziest thing---- after X-ray, NK said, " Mama I want to stand up." Which was a first, because she wanted me to hold her since she first hurt her arm.  They offered to let her see her pictures which NK thought was the coolest thing ever. ("mama! I have never seen my bones before!!!")

They put us in a  hallway stretcher because there were no beds. NK was like a different child. She was laughing and smiling and low-and-behold!!! Moving her arm. (Praise God!!)

The ER doc came around not even 5 minutes later and wanted to see her arm. NK is doing fist-punches by this point. Haha!! 

He said she had nursemaid elbow and it most likely corrected itself when they were positioning her for xray.  She was good to go and released! The whole visit was less than an hour.

NK has been fine ever since!!

No comments:

Post a Comment