Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It's a Love Story

This past weekend we celebrated my husband's grandparents 70th wedding anniversary.  Amazing!  That truly is a lifetime of love.  I felt so honored to even witness such an occasion.  It inspired me to blog about mine and Matt's little love story.


The Bride & Groom

I am not going to go on and on about how it was love at first sight, and so on.  We are not a really mushy gushy couple and I don't talk about how we came about to often.

Matt and I met through a mutual friend when we were in the tenth grade.  He caught my eye that night.  Something about his quietness, and those blue eyes.  I can't remember now how we ever got on that first date, if he called me, or I called him... I guess it don't really matter now.  Anyhow, I remember my mom taking me shopping that day so I could have something cute to wear.  I also remember Matt being late... haha... that should have been a sign there.  He had to work and was like an hour late.  I thought he had stood me up.  We went on a double date to a little country restaraunt.  Matt and I "talked" for a few weeks after that, and kept in touch through high school, but it never turned into anything serious.  We went to different high schools so it wasn't like we saw each other every day, and I eventually started dating someone else.

I didn't know Matt was the one I wanted to marry, but I knew I wanted to marry someone like him.  He was always so hardworking, and I think that is what I admired most about him.  At sixteen years old, to work as hard as he did, is something to speak about.  Matt called me during my first semester of college and said he thought we should go on another "first" date.  I was going through a break up at the time and didn't really know if I wanted to start dating anyone else.  I finally decided that I should give it another try, but then it took almost another month to get Matt to take me out!  What?!  I thought he wanted to go on another date.  Matt always played a little bit "hard to get."  Anyways... we went to a Halloween party for our second "first" date.  I primped and primped in front of the mirror and changed outfits a dozen or more times.  I was so excited!  I don't think either of us really knew that it was going to be the first night of our lifetime together :)

That night, something did spark, or it did for me atleast, but I wasn't sure about it.  Things were on and off between us for the next six months.  It was that next summer that I realized he was the one I wanted to marry.  I just couldn't picture the rest of my life without him.  I had visited Auburn University school of veterinary medicine,  (I was a Chemistry major with intentions of going to vet school), and I was working in a vet's office.  On the way home from Auburn, I just had this bittersweet feeling... it just didn't feel right.  I couldn't imagine going there (or anywhere for that matter) without him and I knew we couldn't pick up the farm and move it to Alabama.  I was only 20 years old though, did I really know what I wanted? 

I remember the night I told my daddy I was changing my major to nursing.... He knew he was in trouble then.  Even though I wouldn't come right out and say it, I think he knew I was bit by the love bug.  He told me I was NOT getting married until I finished school.  I would have married Matt that summer, had he asked me, but he respected my daddy's wishes.  He proposed to me the December before I graduated and we got married the following October.  I have three days in my life that make me get a little emotional every time I think about them... the day Matt proposed, the day we got married, and the day I gave birth to my baby.  I don't think anything else can top those three days!




Even though our love story  is not like something you see in theatres or read in a book, it is ours... He is my other half....  God created him special for me and I couldn't imagine my life without him.  I have no regrets about changing my major or career path.  Even from the time I was a little girl, I knew regardless of anything else, I wanted to be a wife and mother.  Just like I thank God every night for my little girl, I thank Him for my husband also.  Matt is a wonderful provider, a loving husband, and a great father.  Seeing him with Norah Kate makes me love him that much more.  Even though there are always things that get on my nerves, make me mad, or just plain drive me crazy, there are so many more things that make me smile, make my heart melt, and make me love him that much more.  Dirty laundry, dirt tracks in the back door, and shaving cream in the sink isn't enough to make me search for something better, because I know I wouldn't find it. 

People can be so negative about marriage and discouraging.  They tell you how hard it is.  I don't know many things in life that come easy, being a mother is difficult, being a wife is harder, but I would not trade either for anything, my life wouldn't be worth living if I did!  My husband and my daughter are just a part of who I am.  I pray that we are blessed enough to have 70 more years together!  Thank you Grandma and Papa for sharing your special day with us, and more importantly for setting a wonderful foundation for your children and grandchildren!  We love you!


"What ever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -Emily Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment