Saturday, March 24, 2012

Patience, Please!

I have always been told not to pray for patience because the Lord will send you situations that make you have to use your patience.  I struggle with this... I have never been a very patient person.  I am a "I will just get it myself." or "Just let me do it," type person.  I have learned instead to pray for serenity.  Dear Lord, please don't let me freak out on this person.  Dear Lord, please help me hold my tongue.  Dear Lord, please help me watch my temper.  Amen.

I have realized during my three months off from work and away from civilization that I am, in fact, I very patient person compared to a lot of other people.  It appears that in today's society patience is most definitely a virtue.  Maybe it is my hormones making me more sensitive to other people, or maybe it is the fact because I am in the house home alone, when I do go in public, I am much more aware of other people.  Anyways, I have had several different situations in the last two weeks of people acting stupid because of their lack of patience.  They all tend to occur while in my car... so maybe I am just a bad driver?  With a baby in the backseat, it was like I had to learn to drive all over again!

The first happened when I was getting off the interstate.  I was waiting patiently to make a left turn and didn't want to pull out in front of anyone.  Well, Mr. Huffy Britches in his Prius apparently thought I wasn't going quick enough, he swerves around me and makes a left turn.  Funny thing is, I ended up right behind him at the stop sign half a mile down the road and stayed behind him on most of my ride home.  Talk about resisting the urge to ram into his car!!

Second incidence was at Walmart.  In case you don't know, parking spots are way to small these days.  I was trying to get the baby out of the back seat in her car seat and my car door bumped a pretty little Mustang GT.  (In my defense, the car was not there whenever I parked... I try to make room for myself because I know I have troubles.)  Well the lady gets out of her car and chases me down.  "You hit my car!  You hit my car!"  Excuse me?  I walk over to her car and look at this tiny little white mark that is about this --- big.  Yep... that tiny.  "You hit my car so hard it shook!"  Oh, I am really sorry.  I didn't mean too.  "I mean, you REALLY hit my car.  God, look, it's even scratched!!"  Geeze, I am really sorry... is there something I can do?  (This is when I was resisting the urge to lick my finger and rub the scratch mark... I knew it probably would come out.)  "No, don't worry about it." (In a really huffy voice) So I walk away...  And she is just a fussin' the whole time behind me. 
Really lady, it's not that big of a deal... I am sure it has happened to you.  Do you want to call the police and right up a police report over a measly little while mark that you could literally spit shine out?? (Of course, I don't say this because I am praying "Dear Lord, help me bite my tongue" the whole time.)

Third time, I was waiting in line at Zaxby's Drive Thru.  I saw a friend of mine and rolled my window down to speak.  Well, apparently the line had moved up while I was talking.  The car behind me pulled around me and cut in front of me in line... which would have been alright had I been holding up the order...but there were like two more cars that had to order.  So then, she is sitting awkardly in front of me in line waiting to order.  Again, I am resisting the urge to rearend her Jeep.  Patience Katie, be patient.  I wasn't in that big of a hurry anyway.

On the way home from Zaxby's I am thinking about these three events and I realize just how impatient and angry people are in today's society.  If you take the time to really listen to people around you, you will realize that we are all a big bunch of complainers.  In the grocery store, in the doctor's office, driving down the road, at the restaraunt... everyone seems to be in a bad mood and unsatisfied... impatient.  No one expects to have to wait for anything anymore.  I think it's our own fault.  You can get express shipping and have stuff sent to you over night, self check out at the grocery store, automatic banking, pay at the pump, fast food and drive throughs.  No one really has to wait on anything... so God forbid something take a little longer or have to wait at a stop sign or wait in line at Walmart (I mean really, it's Walmart, when have you ever not had to wait in line?)

I am just as guilty as the next person, and it is something I plan to work on.  I especially want to be patient with my children, and teach them to be patient as well.  If they see me losing my temper in the grocery store, or driving like a mad woman, what lesson am I teaching them?  Matt has got to be the most patient person I know, so I have learned lots from him too.  He is going to wonderful with our kids because he is ten times more patient than me! 

Remember there used to be a time that people had to make all there meals from scratch, it took hours (not minutes) to get to town, and women actually hand sewed clothes!  Can you imagine the patience that our ancestors had to have?

Nowadays, we all need to be a little more patient.  Everyone is a little more stressed, overworked, and more than likely underpayed.  We all seem to have a trouble or stress of some sort.  Before you lose your temper next time in Walmart, or chew out your waiter because your meal took a little longer than necessary... take a deep breath and be patient.  You do yourself much more damage by getting all worked up!  If we were all a little more understanding and kind to one another, I really think we would all get further (not be all philisophical!).

So next time you go to swerve around that person at the stop sign, just think, they may be driving extra careful because they have a sweet newborn bundle in the back seat!

As God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. - Colossians 3:12 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment